The Registered Office is the official address for the company, and every company must have one. For companies formed in England, the Registered Office must be in England.
The Registered Office is not necessarily the place where the company does its business. For example, we have many clients which have their trading office at the Science Park, and their Registered Office with us.
The significance of the Registered Office is that it is to that address that any official letters must be sent if they are to be effective. If, for example, a customer wishes to take you to Court over some dispute, they must write to you at the Registered Office. The same applies to any letters from the Court.
Equally, if you receive a formal letter at the Registered Office and do not reply or take any action within the official time limit, you can lose the case just because you did not reply.
Within the EU the Company Secretary function is a concept unique to the UK and Ireland. The Company Secretary is not a Director, but is an Officer of the company and so they can carry out some of the official functions such as discussions with the tax and registration authorities, and can sign many official forms on behalf of the company.
It is not now a legal requirement to have a Company Secretary for a private limited company (Ltd), but you can still appoint one if you wish. If you decide that you do not want to appoint a Company Secretary we also offer a “Directors Compliance” service to help with the paperwork, but a Director will have to sign all the documentation and take any contact with the authorities themselves.
The services covered by our Company Secretary Service include:
- Keeping the Statutory Books, which are the Registers of Directors, Secretaries, Shareholder, Mortgages and Charges, Applications and Allotments (of shares) up to date as required by The Companies Acts
- Filing appointments and resignations of Directors or Secretaries with Companies House
- Filing Changes of Directors details, usually change of address, with Companies House
- Issuing new shares of the same class
- Registering share transfers, including completing Form J10 for Stamp Duty and arranging payment if required.
- Completing and filing the Annual Return to Companies House, including the filing fee.
Directors’ Service Address
The Company Secretary must inform Companies House of the home address of each Director and keep this up to date. However, the home address can be removed from the information available on the public register at Companies House with the use of a Service Address. That is an address for the legal delivery of letters and documents, but the Directors must keep us informed of any changes.
Our ‘Legal Compliance Package’ includes Registered Office Address, Company Secretary and Directors’ Service Address.
Get in touch with us...
We’d love to hear from you! – if you have any questions, please get in touch with us on phone, email or social media, and our friendly team will be pleased to help.